Every year the kiddos get advent calendars from my parents, sometimes chocolate, sometimes the Lego ones with the toys inside. However I have seen a lot of activity advent calendars on Pinterest, and I thought they were brilliant. So the basic idea is that each day for the 24 days before Christmas you do a Christmas activity with the kids. There are a million ways that people have fashioned these calendars, from boxes to old mittens. I had a package of little gift card envelopes (24 in the package…I considered that an omen!!!) and decided to get to work on making one for my boys.
I decided to use the Mistletoe Magic paper set from My Mind’s Eye that I scored at Homesense a while back as my colour theme, and some cut-out snowflakes and Christmas shapes from Michael’s. So here’s my supplies:
I basically just decorated each envelope and numbered them from 1 to 24, and mounted them on a piece of foam core. Here’s the final result and some close ups….
For the tags to go in the envelopes, I just printed the activities out and punched them out with a tag punch and threaded them with a string.
My list of activities was partially taken from some I had seen on Pinterest and activities that I had or knew I wanted to do based on what we like to do. This is my 24 item list (in no particular order)!:
- Have a picnic under the Christmas tree
- Watch a Christmas movie (and have some special treats!)
- Bake some cookies
- Decorate a gingerbread house
- Make some ornaments for the tree!
- Make Frosty’s house (from sugar cubes)
- Write a letter to Santa
- Make Christmas Cards
- Read Christmas Stories and drink hot chocolate
- Take a walk to see the Christmas lights
- Make peppermint bark
- Buy gifts for the children’s wish donation
- Have green ice cream and watch the Grinch
- Put up the Christmas Tree
- Let’s Make snowflakes and decorate the windows
- Read the night before Christmas and leave cookies for Santa
- Make a fort and watch “Home Alone”
- Build the north pole out of Lego
- Have a candy cane hunt
- Silly Christmas photo booth
- Visit Santa
- Make snow globes
- Paint Christmas figures
- Make cake pops
The bonus about this advent calendar idea is that I have decided it will be perfect to fill the content of my December Daily scrapbooking album this year. So essentially I will document each event from the advent calendar into a 24 page album, I’ll be sure to post the results when finished!!